Wednesday, January 19, 2011

On Workaholics

Coach is an absolute workaholic.

Some of it is the fact that this is his first year on the job.

Some of it is that he's such good friends with many of his athletes.

And some of it is just Coach.  He's always been a bit like this.

The texts from athletes usually start around 6 a.m., and don't end until 10 p.m. or so.  He's in his office for 8-10 hours a day, so you'd think that would give his athletes enough time to talk to him about whatever they need to talk to him about, but apparenty not.  They text him constantly, about every little thing...and Coach will complain and say that his phone always going off is driving him nuts, but he always replies. 

All of this results in me never feeling like I have his full attention.  Or that his athletes/work takes precedence over everything else. 

Not a good feeling to have.

I know that quite a bit of this is just because indoor track season just started, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut for another week or so.  But I believe that at some point, you have to put the phone on silent and stop checking e-mails. 

Anyone else have a workaholic spouse?  Or are you the guilty workaholic? 

1 comment:

  1. My husband is a workaholic too, but I'm lucky in that once he gets home, he is pretty much done with his main job (he's a pharmacist, so the only thing he can really do at home is research. Which he does. But that's basically just reading so I'm fine with it, as I read at lot too). We struggle with his long hours and the fact that his boss is pretty incompentent so he picks up a lot of his slack. I keep on telling him that we have to set boundaries now BEFORE we have kids....

    ReplyDelete

Let it all out, this is a safe space!