Wednesday, September 22, 2010

On Cranky Husbands

Coach started a brand new coaching job 48 hours after the wedding.  He had years of coaching experience, but he never actually had his own program.  I was so focused on him just landing a coaching job that I never really thought past him getting the job.

He is putting an enormous amount of pressure on himself to do really, really well-understandably so.  So when his athletes don't perform as well as he thinks they should, he blames himself.  But I really think he's putting undue pressure on himself, because we're only 2 weeks into the season and he's already freaking out.

I'm being fair when I say that Coach doesn't handle stress very well.  He's a control freak, and when things don't go exactly his way, he doesn't tend to deal well.  And he isn't dealing well.

I am so tempted to call his athletes and be like "WTF guys, go FASTER, my husband sucks to live with right now! "  But that obviously won't work.

This isn't the first time I've dealt with a supremely cranky husband.  I'm finding that the more you leave Coach alone, the better it all turns out.  He needs time to process, and then he's right back to his sweet, funny self.  I just need to be patient, and not lose my temper with him in the mean time.  It's hard though, when the crankiness goes on...and on...and on.

I also hate seeing him doubt himself.  I have never doubted him for a second.

How does your spouse deal with stress?  How do YOU deal with your spouse dealing with stress?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh :( Stress sucks!

    Mine just goes running to deal with stress. He maintains that he'd go insane without it.

    It is hard but sometimes we have to accept that we can't fix everything- we just have to be patient while they work it out.

    ReplyDelete

Let it all out, this is a safe space!