Thursday, December 16, 2010

On Goodbyes

In 2006, my parents bought a house.  My sister and I fixed it up and decorated it together, and we've been living together ever since.  (We paid my parents rent, we're spoiled, but self-reliant).

We scoured antique and thrift stores together.  We sewed pillows together, and tried to stuff them with shredded bits of foam that got everywhere.  We have a dog here together.  I have outfit advice whenever I want it, and my accessories collection is doubled. 

And tomorrow, I move out and in to my gorgeous new home with my husband, who's been living with us since the wedding in July.  It's been an unorthodox arrangement, but we've made the rent and utilities much cheaper for my sister, and it allowed for us to look for, find a house, and fix up a house all while having a place to live. 

I'm so sad.  I'll miss seeing her every morning and every evening.  I'll miss having her tell me how cute I look in XXX shirt, or that she made oatmeal and made some for me too.  I'll miss the house we fixed up together.  It was my first home outside of my parents house.  It's my bachelorette pad. 

I'll never get to do any of this again, and as excited as I am about finally living with my husband and having our own house that we are so fortunate to live in, I am so sad that all of this-my single life, my life with little to no compromise, my life with my sister a hallway away-is coming to a close.

Oh, and I'm crying over this just typing it.  And I cried over it when I saw my closet all emptied out tonight.  And I know I'm going to cry tomorrow, when I see my ballerina-pink-vintage-Vogue-poster all empty. 

It's a huge chapter of my life coming to a close.  And even though I'm going to be 3 minutes away and I'm joining the gym she goes to so we can have bi-weekly elliptical dates, I'm sad.  I'm a huge pansy, I know.

Ugh.  Please don't comment and tell what a huge pans I am.  I know it's true.

Has any of the transitioning from single-married life been particularly difficult for you?

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand how you feel - or will at least. My husband and I live with my sister, her husband, and her two daughters. Yup - all in a three-bedroom townhouse. However, we LOVE it. My husband and I will most likely move out this summer into our own apartment, but we have thoroughly enjoyed living with them. I moved in when I moved back to the area in 2007 and we loved it so much I never left - and more people joined us (her daughters and my husband). It's getting a tad bit crowded though, so it's about time to embark on a life with just the two of us. I know I'll be SO sad though - I love having my sister to talk with any time I want. So, I say go ahead and cry!

    ReplyDelete

Let it all out, this is a safe space!